Sunday, December 4, 2011

Buttercream Bump Off by Jenn McKinlay

      Only three months earlier, Melanie Cooper and Angie DeLaura had the surprise of their life when Mel was thrown into a homicide investigation for the murder of Christie Stevens. Tate, a partner in the bakery, was engaged to Christie and he is ready to move on with his life. Not only do all three own the new cupcake bakery in town but they have been best friends since junior high. In the second installment of the Cupcake Bakery Mystery, Mel's mom Joyce meets a scheming rich man, Baxter Malloy, who asks her out on a date. The problem is that Joyce has a killer dress, the dress causes any man who sees her to have a heart attack. However, Baxter did not end up dead in his pool from a heart attack. Instead, someone killed him while Joyce was undressing in another room. Melanie is astonished by her mother's first date manners, but she is worried that the killer will target Joyce. The bakery is booming and Melanie will have to find time to secure all things that are dear to her: her mother and her bakery. 


     Some readers might not understand why I like this series so much. Firstly, The killer is placed so easily in the book that I found him/her in the first 20 pages. Most of the time when this happens, I get extremely frustrated and I will stop reading the book. Not with this series. Jenn McKinlay's writing is so easy  and fun to read that I find myself enjoying the entire book. I also find myself at the end saying, " I knew it was you." When the killer is finally revealed to the reader. Secondly, the movie quotes adds a different texture to the writing. If you are well-versed on movie quotes this book is for you! However, I am horrible with movie quotes and I never can pinpoint where a quote was from. Even though I am horrible at movie quotes, I find the quotes refreshing. Sometimes I look up the scene or quote just so I can get a better picture while reading the book. Thirdly, These books have AMAZING recipes. Even if you don't like the writing or the style, go pick up the book at the library and try some of the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment