Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


As always, I am usually behind on the trend when a book is raved about. This is not because I did not want to read the book but I just did not seem to be in a hurry to get to it. However, since this last weekend was a holiday I decided to buy it and read it on my phone. Thank you Kindle for Android :]

Katniss is a 16-year-old living in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used to be the United States. Katniss lives in District 12 with her mother and her younger sister, Prim. Prim is one of the only people Katniss truly loves. Her father died years ago but taught her everything about surviving outside the fence. Long ago the districts of Panem waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and difficulty changes each year, but one thing is always constant: you must kill or be killed. Only one can survive. When reaping day arrives, Kat's sister is chosen, out of 1 to 1000 odds, Katniss chooses to volunteer and fight for her life. She is sent to the Capital, which is positions in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, with Peeta. He is the one person who helped Katniss when she needed it the most. Happy Hunting, and who will be the victor?


I loved the first establishment to the trilogy and I am so glad that I finally picked it up to read. The main character, Katniss, is well developed. I loved her struggle with her understanding love and life. I really enjoyed some of the minor characters. Even though you know everyone must die because only one can be victory, I found myself trying to find ways for everyone to survive. I loved Rue, who was from District 11 and reminded Kat of her sister Prim. I think Rue helped Katniss in dealing with life in the arena. The book is a page-turner and I absolutely could not put it down. The ending is perfect. It is not to much of a cliff hanger to  be frustrating. It is just right, the perfect break to the story, it just makes the reader what to go pick up the next book but not run over everyone on their drive to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment